Thursday, March 19, 2009

drama on the recycled wool front ;)

One of my sweaters on Artfire got flagged. The person said that if it was "broken down into a ball of wool" it would be ok. I'm not even sure if I know what that means. This was my "appealed flag" email... what do you think?

"Dear Artfire,
This is a ridiculous flag. My sweaters are a supply, & listed as such. All of my buyers work with recycled wool to make their products. I provide a valuable & green service. Is it better for my customers to be buying wool felt from a big box craft store that was manufactured in China? I think not. If you need any proof that my sweaters are being used as a craft supply, just check out the hundreds of items featured on my blog (www.resweater.blogspot.com)... ALL made from recycled wool.
The reason they are not processed in any way, is because of the cost, the time, and the individual's use of the sweater. Some will unravel them & reuse the yarn, some will make quilts, and some will make baby pants. Some felt them, and some do not. By processing them in any way, I am doing disservice to one customer or another. Not only this, but I would have to felt them before any cutting to prevent them from unraveling, which would require a lot of time on my part, and energy (more $, and NOT green). Because of the added costs & time involved I would have to raise my prices & pass that cost on to my customers.
Hopefully this email clears up any doubts as to the validity of my sweaters as a craft supply, but if there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks,
Kris :)
Resweater
www.resweater.artfire.com "

Just to clarify on the part where I said it was not green to felt the sweaters, I meant that it was not green to use the energy to felt a sweater that might not have been felted otherwise. I probably should have specified that in the email. Lol, trust me... I have felted a ton of sweaters in my own stash of wool, and it was always worth the energy used ;)

ETA: Update... Artfire removed the flag! I heart Artfire :)

2 comments:

Jilly said...

Let me know if you need any support from your grateful customer/fanbase!

Resweater said...

Thanks Jilly! I think i'm ok for now. It was only one person flagging.